I have sought out and thrived in challenging situations, from competing professionally as a
world class freediver, to directing the business operations of a multi-million dollar company,
and then changing career paths to study mechanical engineering. I pursued
engineering work opportunities in both the public and private sectors as well as opportunities
focused on gaining hands on product design and machining experience.
I am a passionate and driven individual who believes in being direct, honest, and transparent. I am
motivated by problem solving, breaking new ground, and embracing challenge.
In my free time, I like to design and build projects. Currently, I am building a house and previously I custom camperized a cargo van.
Wade Energy, Pleasant Hill, CA (remote)
- Preforming energy modeling and design optimization on residential and commercial buildings for compliance using EnergyPro and COMCheck.
- Completing compliance documentation with a focus on Efficiency Standards, California Code of Regulations, Title 24, Part 6.
- Training interns and other employees at reading building plans, using Bluebeam Revu and energy modeling.
Focal Engineering, Victoria, B.C.
- Modeling new construction and existing buildings using IESVE and Design Builder, to determine and analyse thermal energy demand intensity (TEDI), total energy use intensity (TEUI) and the green house gas intensity (GHGI).
- Working with clients to complete code compliance documentation, such as City of Vancouver Tenant Improvements and ASHRAE compliance forms.
University of Victoria, Victoria, B.C.
- Thesis topics were mechanical design, heat & fluid transfer, heat pipes, thermosyphons, and frozen applications testing working fluids of methanol and acetone.
- Researched heat pipe technology in order to design and build new heat pipes used for passive cooling applications.
- Worked in partnership with industry to solve problems as a Mitacs Accelerate Intern.
- Wrote grant and funding applications.
- Teaching Assistant for Mech and BME 350, an engineering design course. Created homework assignments and grading exams and design reports.
- Lead 140 students through a machine shop safety orientation. Conveyed and enforced shop safety.
- Designed and built a 10' tall linear furnace lifting system and structure used for growing crystals.
- Trained new machining assistant coop students.
University of Victoria, Victoria, B.C.
Machining Assistant Coop
- Machined components for multiple applications, including pressurized and underwater, from various materials to tolerances of ±0.0005”. Types of machines used included mills, lathes, saws and laser welding.
- Worked with UVic faculty members and graduate students to revise designs for better manufacturability. Manufactured prototypes using CNC and manual machining.
- Rewrote the Machine Shop Lab Manual and the Prototype Design and Manufacturing Manual, which were used in UVic accreditation process.
- Focused on workflow planning and efficiency to improve speed and quality of machined components.
USNR, Parksville, B.C.
Technical Support Coop
04/2013 - 08/2013
- Carried out sawmill system upgrades, studies and built new optimization files for customers.
- Remotely accessed customer computers for testing, problem solving and installing software.
- Remotely troubleshot and solved software and hardware issues for worldwide customers.
BC Transit, Victoria, B.C.
Fleet Engineering Coop
09/2012 - 12/2012
- Revised the technical evaluation of heavy-duty buses to streamline content during a Request for Proposal evaluation process, then invited back after coop term completed to observe the $30 million CNG bus evaluation process.
- Formal business writing for securing government project funding and approval.
- Acceleration testing on heavy duty buses using a CR 3000, then processed and analyzed the data.
Teck Metals, Trail, B.C.
Maintenance Engineering Coop
01/2012 - 04/2012
- Worked in heavy industrial and hazardous environments, requiring full personal
protection, while following strict safety and environmental protocols. Inspected equipment
and made repair recommendations.
- Proposed major shutdown project for expansion joint replacement. Adhered to budget,
planned, prepared, monitored installation and reported on final working condition of the joints.
- Compiled a shutdown engineering inspection list based on interviews with senior engineers and created a computer filing system for maintaining
legacy information about production equipment.
Vanguard, LA, CA
Director of Business Operations
04/2005 - 01/2010
- As bar manager of 100+ staff; hiring, scheduling, cash-outs, bank deposits, ordering and inventory.
- Designed and implemented an accounting and reporting system, including an online document management system.
Premier Events, LA, CA
12/2001 - 09/2005
- Directed event planning and accounting for small and large events up to 5000 people.
- Worked with new clients and venues, and responsible for hiring, employee discipline, firing and scheduling.
- Oversaw product ordering, inventory, and employee cash outs.
Graduate: University of Victoria, B.C.
05/2015 - 04/2017
- Degree awarded: Master of Applied Science in Mechanical Engineering.
- Member of the Institute for Integrated Energy Systems (IESVic).
Undergraduate: University of Victoria and North Island College, B.C.
09/2010 - 12/2014
- Degree awarded: Bachelor of Engineering (B.Eng) with Distinction in Mechanical Engineering.
- Student member on the Learning and Teaching Centre Advisory Council.
- Dean’s Honor Roll at North Island College for first year engineering.
Public Speaking & Volunteer Experience
- Treasurer for EGBC Victoria branch and outreach volunteering promoting youth to pursue engineering as a career.
- Presented to 3,500 IMAX members about freediving for the opening of "Ocean Men".
- Student Speaker at the 2013 University of Victoria teaching awards.
- Presented on behalf of the UVic mechanical engineering students to the engineering faculty.
- Spoke on behalf of Engineering students to the board of directors and President of North Island College.
- Organized and participated in beach cleanups.